Monday, March 16, 2009

Still Ambulatory After All These Years

Sometimes I just don't want to write about myself. But if I don't, what can I write about?

Yesterday's 8.6 mile walk from Limerick to Cornish had some extremely boring stretches. Ironically, I noticed on one of the most boring ones that someone had built an observation deck overlooking the boring landscape. There must be times of the year that the view becomes interesting. It's a swampy area, so I'm guessing that red-winged blackbirds abound in the spring and summer. There's excitement for you. Red-winged blackbirds in a swamp.

By the time I got to Cornish, if I'd had a bag with me, I would have collected $2.10 worth of returnable bottles. About half the bottles were in Limerick. I saw only one cigarette butt in the first six miles; then they proliferated. There were no coins whatsoever. The most interesting thing I saw was a dead crow half-buried in a snowbank.

I gave a lot of thought to the party I'd attended the day before. It was a reunion of USM music majors and faculty from the '60s and '70s. I can't believe how many people attended! Cars were parked along the road for a mile! The place was packed! Thank God I went, so I could rehash it instead of focusing on my aching knees.

I was reminded of when I worked at Moosehead Manufacturing for six weeks one summer between college years. The days just crawled if there was nothing interesting to think about, so I tried to go out drinking and dancing every night to give myself some thought fodder for the following day. Sure, I had horrible hangovers, but at least I wasn't bored!

No comments: